Traffic Ticket Attorney
Traffic ticket attorneys and those fighting traffic tickets they received due to reflex’s red-light cameras have chalked up several court victories in the past few months. Many agencies and cities, including some in the Bay Area as well as Southern California, have abandoned the enforcement tool in wake of bad press and unmanageable relationships with the camera company Redflex.
While traffic ticket attorneys have been slowly shutting down red light camera tickets, the California legislature is attempting to draft legislation making it tougher for traffic ticket attorneys and citizens alike to challenge their citations. In fact, the legislation could ultimately end one’s right to a bench trial for red light camera infractions.
The legislation, being termed the devils bill, being proposed is California Assembly Bill 666. This bill was authored attorney and Assemblyman Bob Wieckowski, a democrat from Fremont California in Alameda County. At first glance, the legislation appears to be as “non-substantive” as it claims to be, dealing with the required signage and positioning of “automated traffic enforcement” warnings and changing the word “jurisdiction” to “authority” in the California code.
California Assembly Bill 666, would deny crucial due-process rights to motorists who receive red-light camera tickets. Essentially setting up administrative hearings ran by the department who issued the citation. The bill would make the owner responsible for red light tickets regardless of who was driving the vehicle.
While the assembly man is attempting to paint the bill as something which will not infringe on any rights, this is far from the truth. A group, known as “Stop AB666” has pointed out that the bill is bad for the following reasons:
• AB 666 Eliminates Your Right to a Trial if You Get a Red Light Camera Ticket
• AB 666 Makes The Owner of the Vehicle Responsible for the Ticket Even When Someone Else Is Driving
• AB 666 Will Not Make California Roads Safer
• AB 666 Will Increase Revenues for Those Who Already Profit From Red-Light Cameras
• AB 666 Sets up Kangaroo “Administrative Hearing” Courts Run By Those Who Gave You the Ticket similar to a DMV Admin Per Se Hearing
• AB 666 Would Require No Evidence Other than the Ticket Itself to Convict You
• AB 666 Would Strip You of Your Right to Face Your Accuser (Confront and Cross Examine Accusers Against You)
• AB 666 Assumes That You Are Guilty and You Would Have to Prove Your Innocence at Their Hearing
• AB 666 Would Require You to Pay a Fee If You Want Your Case Heard in Court
• AB 666 Would Expand the Use of Photo Enforcement to Other Traffic Violations
• AB 666 is Bad Public Policy
Assemblymember Wieckowski’s office has been swamped with calls from California motorists who oppose AB 666, yet the bill continues its march through the Assembly. AB 666 represents a cynical attempt to further prey on responsible drivers.